Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Jayden's birthday hat tradition (with a quick how-to)

My sweet boy is turning 2 tomorrow.  *sniffles*

Last year I made him a birthday hat and I decided to make that a birthday tradition.  Now I'm not saying that I'll be making Elmo hats when Jayden is in high school but until he complains or utters 'ughhh Mom' I will continue to make them and gently force them on his head. Hehe.  Hey, this is hard work darn it.

BIRTHDAY HAT TUTORIAL

Supplies
 -poster board or card stock (i used a file folder)
-birthday hat template (i used this one:  http://www.firstpalette.com/tool_box/printables/Birthday_Hat.pdf)
-poofy fuzz balls (the package says 'pom-pom')
-fabric
-iron on number 2
-stapler
-hot glue gun
-elastic string

Here is the fabric with the number 2

 Cut out the template and trace it on the file folder.

The cut out hat from the file folder

Press on the number 2.
  The instructions say to iron it
on as well but I skipped that
 step (the iron is already packed)

Spray the back
 of the fabric and the cardboard.

Place the fabric on the cardboard
and fold over the edges.

This is the inside of the hat.
Staple the edges down.

Roll it up and staple it in the back.

Almost done...

Using a hot glue gun, glue the fuzzy balls in place.
NOTE: If you are alternating colors, start in the front 
just in case your pattern doesn't match up at the end.
This hat has 2 red balls next to each other on the back
but if I didn't tell ya, you wouldn't even notice. ;)

Glue on a big fuzzy ball at the top.

Add some elastic string and it's DONE!


I will post some pictures tomorrow with Jayden wearing it.

-Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment